Fields, Forests & Wetlands Foods of Eastern North America
A Complete Wild Food Guide
Pumpkin, Squash & Zucchini Flowers
Urban, Rural or Both: Planted in vegetable gardens
The male flowers (thin stem between the vine and flower) are the best to use, as you will prevent the pumpkin, squash or zucchini from forming the fruit if you take the female flower. The female flower has a tiny version of the fruit between the vine and flower.
The most common use is to dip them in batter and fry them. There are many different batters you can try. Tempura batters work very well with these flowers.
The flowers come out early in the day, and that is when to gather them. Make the batter first, go out and get however many you want to use, dip and deep fry right away. They don't last, you have to have everything ready and pick, dip, and fry.
- Plant Size: Trailing, climbing vines and low to ground bush
- Duration: Annual
- Leaf Shape: Range of simple leaves on long, hollow stems
- Leaf Opposite or Alternate on vine: Alternate
- Leaf Size: Hand size to 50 cm (20 inches) long or more.
- Leaf Margin: Generally, finely Serrated (saw toothed edge)
- Leaf Notes: Most have a scratchy, tough feel with long, hollow stems
- Flowers: Big, deep trumpet shaped 5 petalled yellow to orange flowers coming from leaf axils on stems
- Bark: Often vines have a rough, hairy surface texture
- Habitat: Planted in vegetable gardens.
- Recipe search on the web here (Google search) and here (Bing search).
- Pictures on the web here (Google images) and here (Bing images).
Zucchini Male Flower. Squash and Pumpkin look the same.
Why does this site have ads?
Originally the content in this site was a book that was sold through Amazon worldwide. However, I wanted the information to available to everyone free of charge, so I made this website. The ads on the site help cover the cost of maintaining the site and keeping it available.
This site is hosted by HostUpon. I am very thankful to them for all the patient technical support I received when I first set up my websites and had no idea what I was doing. I am happy to recommend them.
The site is designed to work with all browsers and is specifically designed to be highly functional on smartphones. I kept the site simple, with a clean page design to make using on a smartphone easy, quick & efficient. The Bootstrap framework is responsive, and automatically scales to any screen size.
If you encounter any problem using this site on any device, I would appreciate knowing. Let me know by using the contact page. Tell me what the problem is, and what device you are using it on.